Notice 2008-113 provides procedures under which taxpayers can obtain relief from the full application of the income inclusion and the additional taxes under § 409A with respect to certain failures of a nonqualified deferred compensation plan to comply with § 409A(a) in operation (an operational failure), including:
- Methods for correcting certain operational failures during the service provider’s taxable year in which the failure occurs and, for certain service providers also during the subsequent taxable year, to avoid income inclusion under § 409A(a).
- Relief limiting the amount includible in income under § 409A(a) for certain operational failures during a service provider’s taxable year that involve only limited amounts.
- Relief limiting the amount includible in income under § 409A(a) for certain operational failures regardless of whether the failure involves only limited amounts, but subject to further required actions to correct the failure.
- Special transition relief for certain operational failures occurring before January 1, 2008.
Notice 2008-113 replaces Notice 2007-100.
- Notice 2008-113
- Notice 2010-6 (expands and clarifies Notice 2008-113)
- Notice 2010-80 (expands and amends Notices 2008-113 and 2010-6)
See also 409A.